Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Update--Read a Picture/Write a Picture





Photo: Visiting Children's
Author- Ann W. Turner




Candy Cross, one of ten 2009 Massachusetts Literacy Champions, has launched the project funded through her award. With the help of fellow librarian, Robin Shtulman, Read a Picture/Write a Picture began its exploration and creation of picture books for older readers on October 19, 2009. The workshop is filled to capacity with an energetic and creative group of older children, teens, and adults. During their first meeting they were encouraged to witness how well their "Eyes Think." Later they examined picture books representative of realistic fiction. Then while enjoying a light supper, the pairs started brainstorming the plot and illustration of the picture books they will author and illustrate.

It has been decided to open to the public, the group's visit with published author Ann Turner on November 16 at 4:30. Ann has written many books of historical fiction and poetry using chapter book and picture book formats. On the HarperCollins website it is noted that her novel A Hunter Comes Home was an ALA Notable Children's Book, and her first picture book, Dakota Dugout, received the same honor. Among her other books are Abe Lincoln Remembers, illustrated by Wendell Minor, a Notable Children's Trade Book in the Field of Social Studies; When Mr. Jefferson Came to Philadelphia; Rosemary's Witch, a School Library Journal Best Book; Through Moon and Stars and Night Skies, a Reading Rainbow Book; and two poetry books, A Lion's Hunger and Learning to Swim, which were both ALA Best Books for Young Adults. This listing of Ann Turner's awards is by no means a complete bibliography of her works. She is compelled to be an active author. On the Houghton Mifflin website Ann says that stories choose her, rather than the other way around: "I often feel as if I am walking along quietly, minding my own business, when a story creeps up behind me and taps me on the shoulder. 'Tell me, show me, write me!' it whispers in my ear. And if I don't tell that story, it wakes me up in the morning, shakes me out of my favorite afternoon nap, and insists upon being told." When visiting the Wheeler Memorial Library in Orange on November 16 at 4:30, Ann will highlight what can be done using the picture book format that an author can not accomplish in other forms of writing. If you are interested in attending, please call the Children's Room at 978-544-2495, ext103 in order to be assured of a seat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks